Common Core Curriculum
In today’s increasingly global world, the need to educate and prepare our students with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in college and careers is of utmost importance. At Artesia Public School District, part of our mission states, “We are responsible for teaching standards preparing students for college and career.” We want you to know that our teachers and administrators are committed to carrying out this task in partnership with you. We know we can count on you and our community to deliver the best, most comprehensive education available.
Advantages of Common Core
New Mexico adopted the Common Core State Standards in 2010. We believe that these standards will provide advantages over the previous state standards. Specifically they will:
- Make our students globally competitive by teaching educational standards currently used throughout the world.
- Give our students the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in college or careers.
- Give all students access to the same rigorous standards, regardless of where they live, or what their family background is.
- Clarify standards so that parents, teachers, and students understand the expectations required of them.
- Increase collaboration across districts and with other states to share resources and expertise in teaching the Common Core State Standards.